- Founding Partner
Kirk Retz focuses his practice on construction law, real estate and business law. He advises clients on an array of issues including drafting and negotiating commercial leases and construction contracts, land acquisition, permit processes, liens and governmental work. He has particular expertise in Integrated Project Delivery and Green Construction.
Mr. Retz's clients range from Fortune 500-sized companies to small businesses.
His understanding of construction comes not only from his legal training but also from ten years of experience in the construction industry, in which he supervised and managed construction crews and negotiated contracts.
His practice is 40% devoted to construction law, 40% to business/corporate law and 20% to general litigation.
When he's not at the office, Mr. Retz's interests include martial arts, horseback riding, tennis, dancing and hiking.
Areas Of Practice
- Construction Law
- Real Estate
- Business Law
- California, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 1993
- California State University-Northridge, Northridge, California
- B.A. - 1989
- Major: Speech Communication (emphasis on law)
- A Game Plan for Surviving Construction Defect Litigation, Underground Utility Contractor Magazine
- Integrated Project Delivery: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, California Real Property Journal, a quarterly publication of the Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of California
- Contractual Considerations and Issues Related to Integrated Project Delivery, Aspatore Books published as a chapter in the book "Negotiating and Structuring Construction Contracts: Leading Lawyers on Protecting Client Interests, Managing Risk, and Understanding Recent Trends and Developments"
- The SB800 Quagmire, ECA Magazine
- When a Developer Becomes a Contractor in the Eyes of the Law, ENR Magazine
Honors and Awards
- Recognized by his Peers as a Super Lawyer
- Construction Basics, West Coast Casualty Construction Defect Seminar and Continuing Education of the Bar
- Speaker, RE/MAX International Conference for Brokers/Owners & Managers
- Speaker, Pacific Coast Builders Conference
Pro Bono Activities
- Keepers of Indigenous Ways (Tongva Indian Nonprofit Organization), Present
- Del Amo Rotary Club, Member of the Board
- Torrance South Bay YMCA, Member of the Board
- Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, Member of the Gift Planning Council
- El Camino Community College, Bond Oversight Committee
- Parks and Activities Commission, City of Rolling Hills Estates