Dedicated To Your Success
We offer seasoned representation to our clients that helps them achieve their desired outcomes on all real estate, business law and construction law matters

Subpar materials can lead to construction defect claims

On Behalf of | Apr 7, 2020 | Construction Disputes |

Hiring a contractor to complete a renovation on your home or business means that you’re putting your trust in that individual to behave in a professional manner. While most contractors hold themselves to a high standard because they need the positive word-of-mouth advertising, there are others who prey on people who aren’t familiar with the projects they need done.

If you’re hiring a contractor, you need to ensure that you’re doing what you can to protect yourself. There are many areas where they might slack, but one that you need to be especially watchful for is subpar materials. These can instantly decrease the value of the renovation and might lead to a premature failure of the project.

When you are setting up the contract with the contractor, be sure that the materials you want used are clearly spelled out in the contract. If there are any substitutions that are required, you should be made aware of the problem and given options for handling this.

Sometimes, the issues with the materials are so small that you might not realize what’s going on right away. For example, the contractor might use a thinner piece of plywood than the one that’s in the contract. This can decrease the strength of the area, but they will do this because thinner pieces are usually less expensive.

Another issue that might come up with the materials is that the contractor claims they found a discounted product to use. While this can be a good deal, especially if the savings are passed to you, it is imperative that you ensure the discounted items aren’t substandard. For example, make sure that discounted lumber isn’t damaged or covered in mildew or mold.

If there is an issue with substandard materials in your project, the contractor might correct the problem for you. If they won’t, you may have to take legal action to get the corrections made or to receive compensation for the damages associated with the issue.